• question-icon

Have migraines. Antistimine medication. Suggest medications?

My son took some type of medication from 1994 through 1998 to help prevent migraines. ( He was 14-18 years old when taken.) I believe it was in the antistimine family. My son says it was a small white round pill . He is 33 years old now, and he needs to know the name of that medication. Is there any way to find out the answer to this question? The pediatrician who originally prescribed it has passed away, and quit practicing medicine long before he died. Can you help me?
Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
You can find that medication from his previous medication records of from his pharmacy register if they maintained his medication data.
My idea as per your history is it may be practin (cyproheptadine) which belongs to antihistamine group but this should be confirmed by medical documents.
Hope I have answered your query.

Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. Sheeba Stephen's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It is impossible to know the exact identity of a medication without knowing its generic or brand name or any other significant details about it. There are several different medications given for migraine and are a lot of different anti-histamine medication too.

The only possible chance would be to trace his old medical records (many countries have a computerized database) or find his old prescriptions. Alternatively, you can take him to a doctor for a fresh evaluation of his problems, so that appropriate medication can be prescribed.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist