Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Have lump on knee. Had fell on knee and had bruised. X-ray is fine. Remedy?

Hi! I fell 5 weeks ago and landed on the bone right beneath my knee cap. I had terrible bruising and still have a little, which I am not concerned about, but I now have a large hard lump, about two inches. It doesn t hurt but it is unsightly. I had X-rays and they said they were normal. What is this lump and will it go away?
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.
From description , this hard lump most probably formed due to haematoma formation (collection of blood) which might get fibrosed or calcified.
It will take few weeks to months to get disappear.
I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination of swelling. Meanwhile give hot fomatation over it, You can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily).
Hope this helps you.
You can cosult me again directly through my profile
Answered: Wed, 7 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

As your xrays are negative for a fracture, the lump could possibly a HEMATOMA. This should resolve spontaneously within 4 weeks.

Try the following measures -
* elastic compression bandage over the lump area
* moist heat fomentation to resolve the hematoma

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Tue, 6 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Michelle Gibson James's  Response
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Trauma can result in initial swelling due to an inflammatory response.
As part of the healing process, fibrosis or scarring occurs.

This lump that you are seeing is likely related to the scarring that has occured. It will decrease in size over time but in some cases may not completely return to normal.
It can sometimes take a few weeks to months for this decrease in size to occur.

If it does not decrease to your satisfaction you can consider visiting your doctor to see if it can be removed.

I hope this helps
Answered: Tue, 6 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor