Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Have lump in back along with pain. Should it be taken serious?

Hi! I'm a healthy female 15 year old and i was wondering if it's normal for me to be experiencing extreme pain in my lower back? Based on my observations, there is a small lump about 3" in diameter on the area where i feel extreme shooting pains. Could it simply be because of carrying heavy nap sacks to school or the long hours of sitting at a ninety degree position? If so, could this lead to anything dangerous? Oh and i have no history of being involved in any dangerous incident regarding my back. I haven't been.

Since i haven't consulted a doctor on this case, my decision to push through with a medical check up will depend on your advice. So i look forward to your reply and i thank you so much for your time!
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  30
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The pain in your back seems to be a muscular pain and is likely to be due to a postural defect and carrying heavy loads on your back. A direct examination and investigations like MRI scan will help in detecting the cause of this pain.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
The low back pain and swelling seems to be result of muscle spasm which in itself is a protective mechanism body develops so that the back avoids abnormal posture. For pain to go, it takes not only rest (on a comfortable bed) but also avoidance of particular positions . While on work don't sit in one position for more than an hour and take frequent stretch breaks.
I suggest you to consult your orthopaedician for a detailed physical examination and appropriate investigations. It might help with few medications and physiotherapy for a few days.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Bad posture is the most likely cause for the pain
You will benefit by examination / and advice on Physiotherapy

A lump can not be accounted for - by this.
If there is one, excision and biopsy is the best solution

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor