Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Have inflamed taste bud, bleeds, chipped tooth. Is there anything i should do?

I went for a free oral dental screening in my area yesterday. I have had an inflamed taste bud for 6 to 8 months. It almost goes away, then returns. It sometimes bleeds and when it bleeds it bleeds alot. At one time I had a chipped tooth that was pulled but the taste bud became inflamed because of the chipped tooth. I kept rubbing my tongue aganist the sharp edge. The dental technician I saw yesterday did a thorough exam, and she even shined a special light inside my mouth, it was very warm and I had to shut my eyes while she did the exam with this light. The dental technician said to rinse morning and evening with salty warm water, and it already feels better. But why will this inflamation on my taste bud not ever go completely away. It is horrible when it bleeds and scary. Is there anything else I should do? Thank you
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for posting the query,

Inflammed taste buds can be due to bacterial or viral infections, consumption of hot food , allergies to some foods, trauma from tongue biting or chipped tooth.
I would suggest you to get the checkup done by the Dentist take an x-ray of the chipped tooth and go for the treatment.
Apply Dologel oral ointment topically over the affected area.
Start taking multivitamin tablets.
Take complete balanced diet and drink lots of water.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
usually the inflammation on tongue caused from chipped tooth heals rapidly.
But in your case,the mucosa is severely infected.
TAke plenty of fluids and nutritious food.
Vitamin becosules,c,iron and folic acid tablets has to be taken.
Avoid flossing tongue using sharp tongue scrapers.
Avoid intake of spicy,salty food items.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
If symptoms persists,biopsy of the lesion has to be done.
Take care.
Answered: Sun, 28 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response

Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

Recurrent trauma to the tongue mucosa due to impingement of chipped tooth has lead to formation of ulceration in your case .

Appearance of recurrent ulcers on the oral mucosa like tongue mucosa indicates inflammation .

It may be caused due to several reasons like deficiency or certain vitamins especially vitamin B12 and vitamin C.

start with multivitamin supplements for 7 to 10 days and vitamin C lozenges will help in resolving the problem.

avoid alcohol , carbonated drinks , tobacco chewing and smoking as these may worsen the area affected.

Apply oral antiseptic ,analgesic ointments like dentogel or mucogel topically over the affected area

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Sun, 28 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor