Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have hypothyroid. On medication.How to reduce excess weight after pregnancy?

hello,ihave hypo thyroid since 5 yrs,i just delivered a baby 4mnths back.durin pregnancy my tsh level was constant i was taking 125 mcg eltroxin ,but after delivery my tsh rose to 15.7 and my gynaec advised me to take 175mcg eltroxin.after 50 days i did my tft test and my tsh level dropped to 0.04.currently i am taking 100mcg 3 days and 125mcg 3days.the problem is during pregnancy i gained 24kgs and shed 6kgs after delivery.but after 4mnts even after brest feeding and normal diet and exercise i have gained can i get rid of my excess weight
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  35
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello dear,

Weight gain is one of the feature of hypothyroidism.
In this, there is decreased production of thyroid hormones resulting in decreased body metabolism.
Eltroxin, a substitute for physiological thyroxin, helps in regulating the metabolic process.

So, along with intake of eltroxin, a low calorie low fat diet and regular exercise should be followed such as:

1. Avoid eating white breads, rice and pasta. They have high calories and increases the blood sugar level.
2. It is better to have complex carbohydrates such as whole wheat bread, oatmeal and brown rice.
3. Consume low fat versions of milk and cheese and avoid oily foods.
4. Have a diet rich in low calorie protein foods such as egg whites, skinless chicken, fish, etc.
5. It is better to avoid soft drinks and fruit juices which are rich in calories.
Instead, drink large amount of water (about 6 to 8 glasses) throughout the day.
6. Dietary fiber such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and nuts can also be included in the diet.

If you still find any difficulty, kindly repeat your Thyroid profile investigations & consult your treating physician.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Thanks & take care.
Answered: Mon, 22 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor