Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Have hole in heart. Advised for a open heart surjery. Is there any other option?

Hi, my niece have a 2.4 cm hole in the heart...this was already diagnose when she was still a child and doctor advise just take medication as it may close itself in later years.. instead it become big (2.4cm). Doctor advise to go for open heart surgery to cure.. Is there any other less invasive surgery like using the catheter to patch it. Open heart is quite risky as it subject to infection, which may cause death.. Please advise and how much is the estimated cost. She is 26 years old now. Thanks...
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is not possible to give a specific answer / You have not said where is the hole!? - probably atrial septal defect?
The decision and mode of treatment depends on several factors - size is only one
There are risks to any surgery / there are also risks in not doing surgery - Pulmonary hypertension; paradoxical embolism / Infection may come even without operation - Infective Endocarditis...

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Sun, 5 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor