Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Have high SGOT and SGPT. Normal cholesterol and triglyceride. What should we do?

My husband s SGOT and SGPT used to remain around 72-80. He had extensive test of liver panel except biopsi in 2008 and gastroenterologist told he should more worry about his cholesterol trigyceride level rather than liver enzyme.He has high blood pressure and takes beta blocker . Then he started healthy diet and reduced weight. Then everything was controlled and liver enzyme came down to 32-40 range. Now again his liver enzyme SGOT is 72-80 range though SGPT is higher side of normal range. He didn t gain weight though and cholesterol, triglyceride normal. what should we do?
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  188
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
Your husband has high liver enzymes there are many causes for elevated liver enzymes.Common one are alcohol toxicity, viral hepatitis, drug induced.
But in your case if he has deranged Lipid profile there may be fatty liver or if he is taking drugs for it statins are known to increase the level of enzymes.
If he is taking alcohol or smoking kindly stop completely. Try to keep near ideal weight and regular exercise and diet.
If only isolated rise in enzymes is there and no cause is detected it may not be harmful to you please take care of other factors.
Take care and Good Luck
Answered: Sun, 20 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor