Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Have hemochromatosis, done blood test. Recommendation?

Hi my son was diagonose with hemochromatosis. He is 24yrs old. We had a blood test done and it was at 430. What is your recommendation on what he needs to do? We have cut back on his Red meat intake and no shellfish e.g. (beef, lamp, and clams). He is also starting to work out 2-3times a week. Is there anything else? and what is the cure for this?
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  86
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Welcome to healthcare magic!
The information provided is inadequate.
I presume that the number 430 indicates his serum ferritin level.
You have not mentioned about his transferrin saturation and his liver function test report.
Also whether genetic testing has been done.
If genetic testing has been done and more in favor of hemochromotosis and if his liver enzymes are normal, then therapeutic phlebotomy should be done ( a form of treatment where blood is let out). if the liver enzymes are high a liver biopsy has to be done for further evaluation to assess the damage to liver.
the treatment essentially consists of routine therapeutic phlebotomy and if end stage liver disease has developed, then liver transplantation should be done.
Answered: Sun, 9 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor