Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Have headache. CT scan shows sphenoid and ethmoid sinus disease. Antibiotic not helping. Cure?

Hi I recently had a ct after induring 8 days of a awful headache at the top of my head and the front of my skull especially over my left eye. The findings were complete opacification of the left sphenoid and mild mucosal thickening is present the right sphenoid sinus and several posterior ethmoid air cells. Impression: sphenoid and ethmoid sinus disease. they perscibed and antibiotic and said if it didnt work i need to see an ENT. My question is what is it and is it serious and should i take an precaustions
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  607
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thanks for using health care magic.

It is likely that you have chronic sinusitis. An individual is said to have chronic sinusitis when his or her symptoms ( nasal obstruction, purulent nasal discharge, fever, and sometimes headaches, bad breath and fatigue) persist for over 8 weeks.

It has a variety of causes including viral and bacterial infections, allergies, poor nasal drainage due to polyps etc. Treatment of chronic sinusitis is aimed at reducing inflammation and as well as treating underlying cause. Antibiotics are indicated for bacterial chronic sinusitis which would account for chills or fever. However, the antibiotics should target the most probable germs and should be taking for a considerable time period.
Corticosteroids such as nasonex and flonase greatly reduce the inflammation and favor drainage.

You should get some corticosteroid ( for inhalation ) for use only for a few days at most a week, and some pain killers such as aspirin or paracetamol or ibuprofen (your doctor would give the posologies)and continue your antibiotics. If there is no improvement you should consider seeing an ENT specialist.
Best regards and hope this helps you.
Dr Achuo
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor