Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Have had productive cough. On levoquin, inhalers and steroids. What is going on with me?

Dear Doctor, I have had a productive cough for approximately 3 months now. I have been to two different doctors on 3 seperate occassions. Each time, an xray was taken of my chest which was always clear. I cough up thick mostly yellow phlegm . As recently as this morning, I woke up actually gagging and vomiting up phlegm. Doctors have prescibed antibiotics including levoquin, inhalers, and steroids ( prednisone ). Nothing has seemed to work at this point. I am getting ready to see another doctor, but ask that he refer me to an ENT. What do you think could be going on with me? Thank you in advance for your response.
Asked On : Sat, 29 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  75
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response
this is allergic sinuses when chest is clear it means route is somewhere else and that will be known after xray pns waters view and there lies answer
due to post nasal drip there is continuous iritation causingcough
take singular 10 mgm bd
syp ascoril 1/2 tsf bd
syp tossex 1/2 tsf bd
syp mucane gel 2 tsf tds
that solve problems
coursr 3 week and that ask after xray
Answered: Sat, 29 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Allergist and Immunologist Dr. Sujoy Khan's  Response
Productive cough with thick yellow phlegm does suggest an ongoing chest infection and a community acquired pneumonia (CAP) will be the initial diagosis. Chest X Rays can be insensitive so a HRCT scan chest is indicated if you wish to completely rule out this diagnosis. Rhinosinusitis with allergies making your chest symptoms feel worse is the other possibility and sinus CT is then indicated.
Macrolide antibiotics are the best option to treat CAP and sinusitis (although viral triggers are more common).
Allergy testing (specific IgE blood test or skin prick test) to exclude severe house dust mite allergy or fungal allergen sensitization is also indicated and treatment can then be initiated according to the results.
Answered: Sat, 29 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor