Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Have fungal infections on back. Prescribed lamisil ointment. Suggest some effective medicine?

My sons both have fungal infections/growth on their backs. Their whole backs are covered. The doctor prescribed a Lamisil ointment but it is difficult to keep putting it on the back and hence is not an effective method. I heard about Dettol from the UK that is kind of a multi-purpose healant. Does that or any other medicine help? There are too many side effects with the fungus pill (Lamisil, I think) so that is something not considered.
Asked On : Wed, 18 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  142
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic Forum 
You seem to have developed a fungal infection of the back region, which can be either tinea infection or candidiasis.
You should try to keep the back clean and dry .
Do not apply any kind of oils or moisturizing creams over the region .
Wear cotton garments inorder to reduce sweating. 
You need to use an antifungal agent like  Clotrimazole gel over the affected area twice a day. 
Also take oral antifungals .
And to relieve the itching, take oral antihistamines . 
Dettol has no role in fungal infections, it might infact irritate the skin further, so do not use it.
The drug that you have mentioned is safe to use and you can take it.

Hope it helps, 

Dr Geetika Paul 
MD ( Dermatology)
Answered: Fri, 22 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor