Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Have family history hypothyroidism, experiencing strange heart. What to do?

I am a 38 yr old woman. All of the 10 women in my family are affected by hypothyroidism. In recent years, I have been experiencing a very strange heart beat on occasion. It's when I am completely relaxed which scares me even more. All of a sudden, my heart slows but the 'beat' is very strong, like my heart is going to jump out of my chest. It's not painful, although the pressure is very uncomfortable. Any ideas I can take to my doc?
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear madam
Thanks for writing to us.
An irregular pulse like this can have many forms (medically speaking) and each one of them carries a different meaning and treatment.
Possibly the beats you feel are premature beats. The first thing required in their work-up is an ECG followed by ECHO and if your ECG shows premature beats & ECHO is normal it can be managed by a single drug.
If you ever had blackouts/ blurred vision/loss of consciousness/ vertigo associated with these beats, please see your cardiologist at priority. Else you can see him on schedule and please do get an ECG at the time of these episodes.
I hope it was helpful. Feel free to discuss more.
Sukhvinder singh
Answered: Fri, 3 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You should see an Endocrinologist and have your thyroid investigated...even in the absence of symptoms, because of strong family history...
You are probably having missed beats - It may have nothing to do with Hypo-thyroidism... THE FIRST STEP IS TO SEE A CARDIOLOGIST / Irregular heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG). / Standard ECG records the electrical activity of the heart, for a few seconds. It can detect the arrhythmia occurring during that time only. If the episode occurs randomly, one needs Holter or event monitor.
ECHOcardiogram / TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) / LABORATORY work-up – may all be necessary for further assessment and assistance. You may even need Electro Physiological Studies (EPS)
The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Fri, 3 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor