Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Have difficulty breathing, phlegm, have COPD, CHF, carotid artery disease, relief vicks inhaler, senile

My mother is 82 with severe copd, chf & carotid artery disease with the right 100% blocked and the left 50% blocked. Last night she was having a more difficult time breathing than usual, complained of more phlegm and felt like she might choke. She has been using a Vicks inhaler which seems to help some, but I was wondering, short of taking her to the ER, if there is anything else I could do to help her breathe easier? We have been told that her time is limited and my concern is her comfort.
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  72
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear Friend
thanks for writing to us.
i understand your concern for your mother.
There are a number of therapies which can be tried in such a situation but mind it they are not a substitute of an examination by a clinician in ER and therapy given as guided by examination of patient. i would like you to consult your physician who is looking after her about these therapies before trying it at home. She can be given plain steam/ inhalational mucolytic like acetyl cysteine/ inhalational fast acting bronchodilators through nebulizer. i am not telling you the exact drug names as i sincerely wish you to consult her physician before trying them.
hope you understand my intent.
sukhvinder singh
Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor