Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Have depression for a long time. No medication taken till now. What to do for this?

I need some answers. I am severely depressed. I am 18 years old and living with my boyfriend of two years. I had finaly got a job but quit within the same week because I felt overwhelmed and stressed out because I had to talk to people and see people and just be in public. I don't like people, infact I'm scared of reality. I've always avoided social situations my entire life. I would make excuses so i could stay home from school. I ended up dropping out. I find myself still doing those things, I stay home nearly 24/7 and I'm terrified of having to change that. I try to tear my boyfriend from his friends so I can have him to myself. I have anger problems and I find it hard to empathize with anyone. I just hate people in general. One time my boyfriend said he "swears you have aspergers." What do you think is wrong with me?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  57
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
thanks for using health care magic.
I have gone through your available history. As per the history you may have social anxiety disorder with depression. but avoidant personality disorder need to be rued out.
You should consult psychiatrist for detailed psychological evaluation and start taking treatment in the form of either medicines or psychotherapy whatever the doctor suggest.
I hope you will be fine soon
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the brief description of your problem, it appears that you could be having a social anxiety disorder and some personality issue as well. However a detailed history and psychological assessment is necessary to pin-point the diagnosis.

Since it is obvious that these problems are causing a lot of distress to you and to others around you, it is important that you seek help. So, please consult a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation and further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Gourav Monga's  Response
Welcome to health care magic
I can understand your situation. I appreciate your effort to seek online support.

As per your details, you are possibly having underlying "social anxiety disorder" with depression. For this consult a psychiatrist for detailed evaluation. Following treatment strategies would be helpful-

1) Antidepressants like SSRIs (escitalopram, sertarline, paroxetine etc)
2) Antianxiety agents like clonazepam, lorazepam, alprazolam etc
3) Psychotherapy/ Counselling sessions
4) Relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, deep breathing etc

Hope it helps
Good luck
Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor