Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Have cystitis, constipation, painful urination, swollen abdomen. Will acupuncture help?

I am a 27 years old women. Rather healthy, 1m76, 65 kilos, occasional drinking and smoking. Not very sportive. I have been a cystitis sufferer for a long time, and it got worse since I became sexually more active. But since January 2013 it became much worse. The symptoms are basically the same as for cystitis: -painful urination , -frequent need to urinate, at night too. -pain at the opening of the urethra - swollen abdomen Since the beginning of this year, it becomes more and more frequent that I wake up during the night to urinate and then the symptoms start. Now it is almost everyday, regardless of my cycle, or that I drank too much or too little in the evening, alcohol or non alcohol drinks. It does not always occurs at night, but mostly. Sometimes I feel it happens.When I don t go straight when i need to. The symptoms generally become less painful within one to three hours depending on the intensity. It keeps me awake. I put a hot water bottle on my abdomen to ease the pain and discomfort and drink clear liquid in large amount ( one to two pints) I used to drink herbal tea or take under the counter cystitis cranberry kind of treatment. The herbal tea used to work a little but no longer does. Other facts that might have an importance to understand the problem: My partner also feels light pain at the tip of his penis when he urinates. I sometimes have light mid-cycle spotting. It is not systematic though. It happens that during intercourse I feel pain in a specific point on the left side of my abdomen. In April 2011 I was diagnosed HPV positive and in September 2011 I had a laser treatment. Following that I had a colposcopy and biopsy in December 2012. I am failing to get pregnant for two years and four months. I am easily constipated. I did urine test and swab in February this year and they were clear for Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea. The GP did not seem to identify the problem, and didn t go further than say itseemed to be link to my cycle. I am doing bood test today. This is a really exhausting situation, physically and moraly. I am obssessed with it and trying to always find out what s going on regarding what I eat or drink or if have sex or if I am stressed or if it is all in my head and so on... checking blogs. I still have no answer or even direction. I am thinking to maybe turn to a parallel medicine like acupuncture to identify what the problem is. Do you have any advice or idea? Thank you for taking time to read all this. I would be so greatful if you could just send me in the right direction. Anna
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  108
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi Anna,

Thank you for your query.

Though you have mentioned urine test and swab were clear you have not provided the reports for review. I suggest that you repeat an urine routine examination and get a culture and sensitivity done of a clean catch specimen to rule out any urine infection. If there is cystitis and urine infection then a course of antibiotic should relieve you.

Regarding your query about acupuncture or similar thing relieving your symptoms it is very difficult to give a definite answer. These people claim a lot but there is not documented benefit.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you an early recovery.


Rajiv K Khandelwal
Answered: Tue, 6 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor