Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Have crumbling vertebrae and bad discs. Recommended steroid injection or surgery. Suggestions?

I have been told that i have two vertabrae crumbling near the base of my spine and two discs that are not looking good further up my back. Pain management have recommended we try steroid injections and if they dont work it might mean surgery. I am slightly worried about either option can you help explain please. I am a 39 year old woman
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  79
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, mere presence of abnormal disc protrusions in the spine will not warrant any surgery. Initial management is only with pain medications, bed rest, wearing a lumbosacral brace to support your back and avoiding bending movements. If this regime is not helping you then steroid injections can be tried. Generally, surgery is reserved only for resistant cases with severe shooting pains along with tingling and numbness in the entire leg. So nothing to worry as of now. Bye
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor