Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Have candida in vagina. Have fishy smell. Can I buy Metronidazole OTC?

I have been told I have profuse candida in my vagina . I have had this before, needing prescription from gp. I went to see gp for a fishy smell, which I know is for BV. I have suffred with both conditions all my adult life and am very aware of the different symptoms. What do you suggest? I have already questioned the result of swab. Can I buy the Metronidazole over the counter?
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  142
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
In the current scenario, in view of your history of recurrent infection, I would suggest a thorough investigation and also examination of your sexual partner to plan further management. A vaginal swab for culture and sensitivity, urinalysis, pap smear and also a cervical swab, sonogram of the pelvis, fasting blood sugar and /or AbA1c levels are needed. Metronidazole is not the appropriate treatment in the current situation. You need medications like Ketoconazole or Itraconazole and follow up with prophylaxis is to be done for six months after cure. Hope this helps.
Answered: Thu, 26 Nov 2015
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor