Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Have been diagnosed with panic disorder. Prescribed xanax. Suggest me a doctor to consult?

Im a 34 yr old woman. Have been diagnosed with panic/anx disorder since 17. Right now the the worst its ever been. Mind mindvwill not stop. So bad i cannot complete saily tasks. My mind is wearing my body out. The fear of a panic attack is very real. I have panic attacks mainly at night or in my sleep and have them during the day. The dr i was seeing me will no longer see me. He also treats my mother and twin brother we all have the same problem. They have always put me on zanax. Which does work because of my chemical embalance it does not make me sleepy. It in fact settles my mind to one task at a time which i then can complete. My biggest problem is the rest of the drugs they try out on me. The side effects always seem to effect me in the worst way and send me into a panic attack. Right now i need help in finding a dr to manage my disorder and help me get on track again. Im not depressed i only want to move again and do the things that need to be done instead of my mind taking over. Please help
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  54
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
thanks for using healthcare magic.
I ahve gone through your available history.
xanax contains alprazolam which is instant in action as an anti anxiety. but chances of addictions are high.
You should consult psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and proper case management.
You might be benefited with selective serotonin inhibitors like peroxetine.
You should also do stress management and relaxation techniques like breathing exercise or yoga or meditation.
You should avoid taking caffine, nicotine or alcohol which in turn may increase the anxiety.
I hope you will be fine soon.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. Xanax is alprozolam which is a sedative offering only temporary relief from anxiety symptoms. It also has addictive potential. You require an initial evaluation for anxiety disorders by a psychiatrist. The treatment for anxiety disorders consist of:
1. Anti-anxiety medication like SSRIs
2. Psychotherapy techniques like CBT/Cognitive behavioural therapy
Yoga, meditation and breathing relaxation exercises might also be beneficial. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Sun, 28 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Gourav Monga's  Response
Welcome to health care magic
I can understand your situation. I appreciate your effort to seek online support.

Xanax contains alprazolam which is an antianxiety agent.
Panic disorder is charaterised by intense anxiety attacks associated with impending doom. Consult a psychiatrist for detailed evaluation. Following treatment strategies would be helpful-

1) Antianxiety drugs like SSRIs (escitalopram, sertarline, paroxetine etc)
and Benzodiazepines like clonazepam, lorazepam, alprazolam etc
2) Psychotherapy/ Counselling sessions
3) Relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, deep breathing etc

Hope it helps
Good luck
Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

The symptoms you have mentioned as panic attacks, inability to complete tasks are the part of anxiety only. You have been diagnosed with anxiety and panic about 17 years back. Xanax is alprazolam and it is a good drug to control anxiety but it provides only symptomatic relief. For definitive treatment you need to consult a psychiatrist. Medicines like SSRIs as Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Sertaline etc, SNRIs as Venlafexine, Duloxetine etc. are very useful in its management. These medicines are usually prescribed for long periods and they provide long term control of anxiety and also prevent panic attacks. Also try relaxation methods like Progressive Muscle Relaxation Techniques, Breathing Exercises etc. So visit a Psychiatrist for proper evaluation.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor