Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Have bad self esteem, depressed. Partner ignorant and cynical. What should help me?

What do i do? my parents think i am in an abusive relationship and want me to seek help, but i don t know what to do. i recently started getting worried about myself as i now have zero self esteem, am always upset, and i may even admit to being a little depressed. i love my boyfriend dearly, and don t want to be without him. i don t know why because i don t receive any attention from him, any compliments, care or concerns...nothing for that matter. he gets angry over everything and shows his temper to me. nothing i say is ever right, and he always has to win, making everything a debate. he constantly criticizes what i wear saying i look slutty, when i actually look nice. i go out of my way to try to win attention from him, and end up getting really upset and hurt. this always results in an argument because i m being a crazy bitch and he doesn t want to deal with it. i always get conned into spending money on him, and when he finally treats me to something its a huge ordeal, and I m made to feel bad about him spending money on me. if i try to hug him or kiss him he says im smothering him and being clinging. he has gone thru my phone before and started arguments about ppl i was texting, even tho i pour my heart out to him and tell him i only have eyes for him. the list could go on and on, and the more i think about this, the more sick it makes me feel...
Asked On : Thu, 26 Jul 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Psychiatrist 's  Response

welcome to the forum

The first thing you have to do is sit with your boyfriend and discuss all the stuff with him which is bothering you..... tell your feelings so that he can understand you in a better way.....

secondly consult a psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management

Good Luck


Answered: Sat, 13 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

I can understand that you are going through a difficult time. But at some point or the other, you will have to take the initiative to seek help, as it's not worth sufferning in silence when you have a lot of help available. I would suggest that you first consult a psychiatrist to have a detailed evaluation. If your depression is significant, then you may need medication for a short while. There are also a lot of good psychotherapy techniques which will help improve your self-esteem and coping skills. Once, you feel more stable and confident, the second issue of your relationship can be looked into. You will also have clarity of thought to make the right decisions.

So, please don't delay further in seeking professional help.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Fri, 12 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor