Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have asthma and rheumatoid arthritis, pain in ribs, severe pain attacks and feel breathlessness while walking. On heavy pain killers

hi i had MRSA back in march i have severe asthma and RA since march i have had severe pain in my ribs it moves around my chest the pain is constant but i also get severe pain attacks that take my breath away i am breathless on walking i am having a cat scan tonight and i am on heavy pain killers that dont do much i am so tired and now scared of theses attacks i feel like i am drowning when they happen and i cant breath in properly can you help
Mon, 18 Jun 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Pulmonologist 's  Response
hi maddie
thanks for ur query
u had MRSA
u have severe asthma and RA
consult pulmonologist for ur asthma control
have a spirometry done and stage up ur asthma control level on the basis of symptoms and pft finding as per GINA guideline
ur treatment needs to be stepped up
RA usually not involving axial skeleton but ur pain involvs ribs as per ur version
so u need to search for something else
severe rib pain refractory to heavy anlgesics is indicative of multiple myeloma
so follow the steps---------
1. chest x-ray to look for rib osteolytic lesion
2. urinary bence-jones protein
3. serum immunoelectrophoresis
u need to discard cardiac diseases also b/c what u r thinking a rib pain it may be a pain of cardiac origin also
so u must have a stress ECG, lipid profile and further inv if needed atall
thank u
I find this answer helpful
Allergist and Immunologist Dr. Sujoy Khan's  Response
The chest pain & breathlessness with underlying asthma and RA combination suggests the CT scan is
important to exclude cardiopulmonary complications. Calcium score on coronary CT can inform of your heart status; while it is important to exclude several lung complications associated with RA.

I am sure you are getting the right investigations and please get in touch if you need any specific advice.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor