Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have aphthous ulcers, taken steroids. Can you help?

My son is 27 years old. I am trying to help him find a physician to treat his aphthous ulcers . He has tried everything under the sun to treat them! You have no idea what all he has tried!!! They are recurrent and present on a 97% continual basis. He has very little time in his life that he does NOT have an outbreak . He began getting them when he was about 12 years old. We are wondering if maybe he stays so stressed out as an attorney that he may need some help such as an anti- anxiety medicine. He has seen an ENT and has been prescribed steroids on a multiple basis and has seen a Physician that came to Emory Clinic (from Florida, once a month) who supposedly specializes in the treatment of these. However, he told him the same thing everyone has and that is; to stay away from potato chips, milk, citrus , chocolate, cinnamon, spearmint, sodium larual sulfate in toothpaste products, and a plethera of other foods. We are not convinced as NOTHING seems to stop these ulcers. They are HUGE and multiple. He is MORE THAN miserable and needs the help of a specialist. A REAL SPECIALIST! Can you help us????
Wed, 19 Jun 2013
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dentist 's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.

Your son c/o recurrent aphthous ulcers.

The cause of occurence of lesion has to be ruled out initially.

Since anxiety can be a predosposing factor for occurence of ulcers,i would advice your son to avoid anxiety as well as stress.

Take nutritious diet as well as plenty of fruits/fluids.

Maintain oral hygiene well.

Rinse your mouth after every meals.Hormonal imbalances has to be evaluated and treated.

If symptoms persists,please do visit a dentist.

Hope this helps.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor