Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Have an infected swollen elbow bursitis. Hard lump formation. Cause?

Hi I recently had an infected elbow Bursitis and have been on medication, the swelling has gone down. However now I have a hard lump under the skin of my elbow - It doesnt hurt to touch and grab it however if I lean my elbow on my knee or table for an example it is tender and hurts a little. Do you know what this lump is?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  183
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thank you for your query.

Your condition is that of olecranon bursitis or popeye's elbow.the medication given by your doctor was to decrease the infection in the bursitis.but it seemslike the infection hasn't gone down completly.

For treatment
The NHS (National Health Service, UK) recommends PRICEM - a self-care management approach. PRICEM stands for:

Medication like pain killers

If swelling and pain do not respond to these measures after 3 to 4 weeks, your doctor may recommend removing fluid from the bursa and injecting a corticosteroid medication into the bursa. Corticosteroid injections usually work well to relieve pain and swelling.The bursa usually grows back as a non-inflamed, normally functioning bursa over a period of several months.

thank you,
wishing you good health
Answered: Tue, 16 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor