Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have allergy to food. No medication as off now. What is the cure for this?

I ave become allergic to a lot of foods and things over the past 5/6 yrs and take benadryl to relieve the allergic reactions; hives, itch and such. I always take one then two then three to help it settle down and a shower. The other night I had to take 5 and it was horrible, took a while before I was okay. Is there somthing else I should be doing? I had an epi pen twice but it expired and then I wasnT sure if I really needed it.
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
The only way to avoid an allergic reaction is to avoid the foods that cause signs and symptoms.
oral immunotherapy (OIT) as a treatment for food allergy.
If you have any suspicion at all that a food may contain something you're allergic to, steer clear.
visit the allergist and get the treatment according to that.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Answered: Sat, 27 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
The first thing in the management of food allergy is identification of the causative foods of the given symptoms, called allergens. This at times might be difficult because we might have allergies to different classes of foods or sub classes of foods.
Its therefore important to keep a track record of all the foods you react to. This shall be of utmost importance to the allergist in the identification process. Once done, depending on the frequency and intensity of symptoms, a particular management plan is usually adopted. Blood tests like Immunoglobulin E levels might be useful in making a decision. Avoiding such foods is usually the very first step. When lots of cross reactions are noted, techniques called immune desensitization procedures might be carried out.
Booking an appointment with your allergist is my advice.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Fri, 26 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor