Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Have acid reflux, vomiting blood. Taken medicine for oesophageal ulcer. Reason for prolonged symptoms?

Hi ,My sister in India diagnosed to have oesophageal ulcer after an endoscopy,treated with medication 1BD for 2 months and still has no relief from symptoms of acid reflux ,she also had vomiting twice which had blood about a cup fresh bleed,once before tmt and once after a months tmt.She hasn't mentioned the name of the medication taken ,however I was treated for a duodenal ulcer a few years ago with pylokit treatment was for a week and Im fine.could you please advice me what is done incorrectly and why is she still having symptoms.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  20
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Sep 2013
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.
Since main problem is still there is esophageal ulcer with all symptoms as nausea , vomiting and above all blood in vomiting ( fresh ).
This blood may be due to further worsen of esophageal ulcer , may be due to ,
1 Variceal bleeding. While vigorous hemorrhage may arise from any portal -system venous collaterals , bleeding is the most common from varices in the region of the gastroesophageal junction.
Exact cause is not understand till now ,but may be due to portal hyper tension ( >12 mm Hg) . Diagnosis can be confirmed by measurement of portal hyper tension.
Try raising the head of your bed about 4 inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for 2 hours before patient lie down .
To help control esophagus ulcer one should not drink drinks with caffeine in thme or eat chocolates, or spicy food or greasy food.
As in my opinion she is taking proton pump inhibitors , still no relief so consult a gastroenterologist and get his opinion .
2 Esophageal ulcer may change into peptic ulcer disease , diagnosis can be confirmed by upper G I endoscopy.
In both condition it is very important to evaluate the diagnosis , so consult a gastroenterologist and get his opinion.
Good luck. Dr. HET
Answered: Sun, 13 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor