Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have ache and itchiness in abdomen. Not properly diagnosed. Advice?

I really need some help here. I have had a constant/consistent itchy like ache in my upper abdomen for the better part of 2 yrs (+/-) that has been diagnosed as things from I.B.S. to anxiety . I was even told at one point that it is in my head, by about the 3rd different Dr. I was sent to see. After lots of tests, medications , poking and prodding, I still haven t been given a clear answer. I gave up on seeking treatment, because the pain became way easier to deal with than the embarrassment, after my last Dr. suggested we should look into a medication for my head. Basically assuring me that my abdomen pain is a figment of my imagination, and that its actually my mind that hurts. The shame of this has caused me to give up on my health and focus on numbing the pain with alcohol. I know its only making it worse, but it gives me a few moments of relief. I honestly am not an alcoholic, but a person desperate to not be in pain. Even if its short lived. I am terrified that whatever is wrong, can be fixed before its too late, but I can only go to the finest Dr. s that my insurance (county medi-cal) will allow. I even recieve SSD for it, yet I ve never been properly diagnosed. Yet another reason I feel like they think it s in my head. I feel so alone, and stupid because whatever this is, is taking away my ability to function normally. I am so tired and wore out all of the time. It hurts worse somedays than others, but never goes fully away. Im lost, confused and don t know what to do.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi welcome to Health care magic forum.
Thanks for writing to H.C.M.F.
You have got upper abdominal pain, some times appear as itching. Your doctors diagnised as related to the brain.
The upper abdominal pain could be due to gastric irritation due to irritant foods, peptic ulcer, gall stones, Or pancriatitis.
I advise you to consult a gastro enterologist for diagnosis and treatment. You may need to get M.R.I., gastroscopy, besides other routine tests for confirmation.
If nothing is found in the tests, the fault may be in the head, that is functional, due to anxiety, or tension can be cured by psychologist. Nothing to worry, it is common these days.
Wishing for a quick and complete recovery.
Best regards.
Answered: Sun, 14 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor