Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Have abdominal pain. Have bloating, pressure, swelling. CT scan normal. Shows predominantly fat attenuation mass. Take out the mass?

I am 42 with abdominal pain. My symptoms are bloating,pressure, swelling , pain on my lower right side
I look like I'm 8 months pregnant! My stomach usually gets bloated the week of my menstrual then it goes
Back to normal, but this time it has been swollen and painful for 2 days.
I had a pelvic abdominal CT Scan done last month and the results were normal ( liver spleen and pancreas).
It did show i have a heterogeneous but predominantly fat attenuation mass in my right adrenal gland approximately 3.3x2.9x3.8 cm
My questions are Can this be one of the causes of my swollen abdomial ?Should i request this mass to be taken out? My Dr said its nothing to worry about because of the size and follow up in 4 months have another
CT SCAN done to see if it has grown. Should I go to the Hospital emergency regarding the symptoms i am feeling now??
Asked On : Sun, 21 Jul 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response

1) Based from the information you are having abdominal pain in lower rt side and having bloating, pressure and swelling. I would need you to check for pregnancy test you may first try urine test. If urine test comes positive the have an ultrasound to check if the pregnancy is not inside the tube and only in the uterus.

Their are chances of ectopic pregnancy or pelvic inflammatory diseases that needs to be ruled out.

2) Now from the mass ,based from the information provided you may have Benign tumors that arise from the adrenal gland can be either non-functioning or hyperfunctioning (whereby normal hormones of the adrenal gland are produced in excess). In some cases, these masses produce no complications, while other masses may cause life-threatening symptoms due to the excess production of certain hormones.

If possible to get it resected if your doctor thinks you do not have any risk from operative surgery just to be on safe side.

Hope it helps.
Answered: Tue, 23 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. M Y Shareef's  Response
Hi ! The bloating and pain in your stomach may not be related to the mass around the adrenal gland. But as it has persisted and painful, I would suggest you to discuss for an endoscopic examination with your family physician/gastroenterologist. At the same time, you should get your dietary habits streamlined if it is erratic from eating outside.
The findings in the CT scan though not worrying has to be followed up closely by your doctor as advised. You can get an appointment with an endocrinologist/surgeon to get a detailed discussion on this problem, who may advise some other specialized tests like hormone analysis and others for you. Wishing you an early recovery.
Answered: Tue, 23 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor