Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Have abdominal discomfort and problem in pelvic area. Frequent urination. On antibiotics. What to do?

I've been having a problem around my pelvic area for a couple of weeks now, I've been on two types of antibiotics and im on the second round of them right now, i feel like i have to urinate after I've already gone to the toilet i also have abdominal discomfort and my legs are sore. every time i go the the doctors they just suggest more antibiotics and don't take any further tests or anything (like ultrasounds to check if its something else), any idea what this is or what i can do?
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

In primitive times, when medicine had not developed in the field of testing and laboratory analysis to support a clinical suspicion, doctor's used to prescribe medication, without requesting for any investigations to support the diagnosis. But, this comfort has been abused in today's world. Although, a good doctor would always request for the right investigations and a minimum number of them.

A urine examination or screening for sexually transmitted disease is always necessary in patients who present with symptoms relating to the urinary tract or the genitals. Add-on investigations also exist in case the main cause is not found, but at present, I would first recommend a urine examination to confirm/rule out a urinary tract infection (UTI). Once this has been diagnosed you could go about a urine culture examination, which will provide the doctor information on the most suitable antibiotic that can be used to treat you, in which case you will be advised one antibiotic, which will be the right one.

If the urine analysis returns negative, getting screened for all sexually transmitted infections would be a wise next step.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Fri, 26 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Harvey's  Response
You have not mentioned your age.Urethral valve defects in young.Benign prostatic Hyperplasia is common in around 50 years age,Prostate carcinoma around 60 or elderly age.Yes you can request your doctor to get an ultrasound( to confirm prostate pathology) done if your symptoms persist even after the second round of antibiotics.Also Micturating Cysto Urethrogram test if possible.Also you need to get a urine culture done.
Answered: Fri, 26 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor