Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Have a hard spot on head. Have discharge from that hard spot often. What can it be?

Have noticed a hard spot on the top of my head above the ear feels like a tightness which stretches from the spot to the back of my neck right behind my ear where my hairline ends, sometimes the spot is soft and I had held a heating pad to it on high for a few days and afterwards had noticed a discharge that was hard sort of like the dead skin after a scar heals and was easily removable u cannot tell that there is an issue just by looking or feeling that section of my head
Thu, 2 May 2013
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Dec 2013
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to HCM.
After reading your query I can make out two of the diagnosis as you haven't told us exact time since the hard spot is their and any symptoms of pain or redness over the same.
1. Infected Sebaceous cyst: this is due to a blockage in a sebaceous gland(produce oil in the skin) which leads to collection of cheezy material in it. It is not accompanied by any pain or redness in general if it is not infected.
2. Pyoderma/ Folliculitis- This is again due to blockage in a sebaceous gland but along with inflammation and infection of hair root. It is accompanied by pain and redness.
As you applied heating pad over any of the above so it caused discharge to come out of it. Any how don't try to scratch it or pinch it, if still there is pain or discharge then can take pain killer or antibiotic under medical guidance and also avoid heating pads as it can cause further inflammation and other complications.
Hope this information will help you
Dr Sanjay K Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor