Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Have TMJ after an acciedent. Where can I get the TMJ assessed? Numb jaw and teeth. Suffer from trigeminal neuralgia

Hi: I am a patient at the Wasser Pain Clinic. I was in a car accident and injured my jaw and am having TMJ therapy on it. Where would I go to get the best TMJ asssessment for the Insurance Company? My jaw and teeth became numb on impact. I also have trigeminal neuralgia so I am not able to wear bite plains. I am out-of-province.
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

If your TMJ is dislocated or fractured you need to visit to a dentist . You may be reffered to an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon for treatment.
You should follow a soft diet , reduce movement of the jaw and do not open your mouth too wide.

For trigemminal neuralgia , get complete clinical evaluation done by oral surgeon .
treatment is by tab tegrital 200 mg thrice for 7 days , tab gabantin 300mg twice for 7days .
consult an oral surgeon and get a blood test done before starting the treatment.

Hope this helps out .

Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

In this case it shows either your TMJ has dislocated or fractured causing numbness of jaw and teeth.

I would suggest you to take an OPG radiograph to see which part of your jaws is affected and its extent.based upon that treatment modalities can be decided.

Intermaxillary fixation and arch wiring can done based on direct clinical evaluation.visit an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for this.

Meanwhile avoid too widely mouth opening and avoid pressure on TMJ .

A neurologist can be consulted for trigeminal neuralgic pain.

Hope it helps.


Take care.
Answered: Sat, 16 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

As per the details provided,its not clear that whether your TMJ has dislocated or fractured.

Intermaxillary fixation and arch wiring has to be done based on direct clinical examination.

An OPG radiograph will reveal the condition of your jaws.

Please do visit an oral and maxillofacial surgeon regarding this.
Meanwhile avoid mouth opening too widely and excessive pressure on tmj has to be avoided.

ALSO consult a neurologist regarding the trigeminal neuralgia.

good luck.
Answered: Wed, 6 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
I am Dr.Neha Gupta (dentist) and am glad to address to your query here.

Displacement of one or both of the disks in the jaw's hinges can result from a sudden blow or injury to the head, or simply from hard chewing or a wide yawn.

Taking a painkiller may ease the inflammation and relieve the pain of TMJ but does not get to the underlying cause of the problem. TMJ sufferers need to assess their entire lifestyle - from potentially avoidable day-to-day stresses to eating foods that strain the jaw. In cases where tooth alignment is at fault, you need to see your dentist.

Doctors recommend surgery only for extreme cases. The least invasive form, arthroscopy, involves inserting a fiberoptic tube through a small incision and using it to reposition the disk.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at healthcaremagic through my profile directly.
Answered: Mon, 18 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor