Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Have Parkinson's disease. Low appetite, walking slowly, trembling hand. Should I continue same treatment?

My father (age 77 years old) is having Parkinsons disease . He is very weak( low apetite, walks very slowly, one hand trembls). He is under allopathic treatment of Medical expert but there seems to be no improvement to his health problems. Should I continue the same treatment from the expert or go for other therapies? Would you suggest me addresses of experts for such disease?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Neurologist 's  Response
Thank you very much for posting the query in HCM
Please note that there are two types of Parkinson’s disease.
1. Typical Parkinson's disease- this type generally responds to medicine. However, as the disease advances, the response to medicine may come down and patients may develop side effects related to medicines. I am sorry that i don’t know the exact medicine your father is taking as of now. The best medicine will be Levodopa carbidopa combination, in a reasonably good dose depending upon his response and tolerance. There are other options in this parkinson's diases apart from medicine that is known as deep brain stimulation. He has to have regular exercises, physiotherapy etc.
2. Atypical parkinson’s disease: Here the patients symptomatology will be more than the typical one. They may have memory problem, behavioral problem, and frank hallucination to start with. This can be recognized by a neurologist. Generally speaking these subgroups don’t benefit much with treatment. There are so many types of these sub-types. Treatment depends upon the exact sub-type.
So my advice will be to get evaluated by a local neurologist and then approach a medical unioversity nearby who will guide you regarding the various options as i discussed.
Hope this helps
Answered: Sun, 3 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  User's Response
Thank you very much for your kind advice. Very much helpful to me and the patient. My family is thinking over it.
With best regards.
Yours sincerely,
Anant Potdar
Answered: Wed, 13 Feb 2013
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor