Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Have PV, tested positive for Jak2, enlarged spleen. Recommendations?

6 ago from a routine physical I was told today I have PV because i tested positive for Jak2. Counts Crit: 52.1 Hgb:17.2 EPO:1.1 Plat:449 borderline enlarged spleen: Grew 1cm in 6 years. (prior scan for another issue unrelated) Started slight itching after showering 3 years ago when all my blood levels were normal. I requested a BMB based on the literature to confirm the correct diagnosis and to stage my marrow. MD said why we have confirmation with Jak2. I requested a consult at Dana Farber. Does anyone have any recommendations in the Boston Area? I am a triathlete and it seems weird to read the mean survival time is 15-17 years. Im 55 and feeling very sad today.
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  64
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM

JAK 2 mutation is the confirmatory test for polycythemia vera (PV). Bone marrow biopsy is not required when it has been confirmed by a JAK 2 mutation.
PV is a chronic illness and can be managed well.
All you need is to have a positive outlook, accept the situation and to manage the problem.
Chemotherapy is available which minimizes the complications of PV.
The major complications are hemorrhage and thrombosis.
Now that the diagnosis is made, you need to concentrate on the management part.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Thu, 24 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor