Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Have Hashimoto disease. Can I get a shoulder surgery done?

hashimoto disease I am being tested for since the tsh 3rd generation was increasing and new endo is doing new tsh test and antibody test which I have been told to come back in 3 to 4 weeks for results. But I am also waiting to have shoulder surgery but the endo said that he would not give me clearance for surgery and he said the reason I don t wake up fast from anesthesia may be from this disease. He was surprised the past endo and my primary doctor didn t even do a antibody bloodwork nor was a sonogram of my thyroid which he found a 3m nodule on the right side of my thyroid. Before I had 6+ tsh 3 blood results I always woke up slowly after anesthesia that was normal for me. now new endo says if I have shoulder surgery I could not wake up from it... why he says cause my body can t metobolize it... I really want to finally have my shoulder fix on top I have complex regional pain syndrome in shoulder and arm could that inflamation cause these thyroid result and had stellate ganglion blocks, past of staph infection and cellitists... please can you help me get all concerns understandable and what to ask at my next appt.... I have been out of work since 2005 due to shoulder problems which I also had two surgeries on and having 3rd hopefully soon... Endo like I say won t give me clearance right now but I am not going through regular insurance and my shoulder specialist has me go to hospital for clearance so they would not do tsh test... can I really die is I have hashimoto disease and not treated prior to shoulder surgery and he also says that I have approx 3m nodule on the right side of my thyroid....gosh so stressed now... my father at the age of 26 had a thyroid cyst and I don t know anything now since my parents divorced when I was 14 and I am now 44.... I am single with no children. I feel like everything is crashing down on me
Asked On : Sun, 8 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  191
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Endocrinologist 's  Response
Hi Dear,
Good day.
Your endo is right in saying that Hypothyroidism must be corrected first before general anesthesia can be given. Otherwise, as he suggested there could be problems during anaesthesia/ recovery. Let the TSH result come and if that is normal, then the endo will clear you.

Don't worry too much about 3 mm nodule ( I hope it is mm not cm) . These are common above 40 years and you don't have to postpone the surgery just for a thyroid nodule. However, an ultrasound is required and based on that, further action can be taken. THAT IS NOT AN EMERGENCY AND I DONT SEE A POINT IN POSTPONING THE SURGERY JUST FOR A THYROID NODULE. This can be done after you recover from shoulder surgery. Any nodule above 1 cm should be subjected to needle test ideally.

Don't worry. Await the TSH result. Even if it is high, we can treat with Thyroxine and once TSH is normalized you may undergo surgery.

Answered: Thu, 27 Mar 2014
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor