Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Have HTN, prescribed Amlodipin. Family history of HTN. How long should I continue with medication?

I am having HTN since last 5 yrs. Last month my BP reading was 190/120 to which doctor prescribed amlodipine besylate 10 mg - 1 at night, atenolol - 50 mg - 2 (morn and night) & canderstan cilexetil 8 mg - 1 at night. Now since 1 month I am having normal regular bp .i.e 120/80, 130/80. I have family history of HTN since my father too had the same. How long should I continue with the above tablet.
Asked On : Sun, 5 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  21
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
More or less you have continue the medication for life time. But you can reduce the doses as you are taking a lot of medication to control BP. If you are able to the reduce the medication in about one year than we have a chance to stop the medications. The precautions you have to take are:
1. reduce your weight and maintain it according to your height
2. Keep a control over your blood sugar if you are diabetic.
3. Keep a check on Lipid profile and have it with in normal range.
4. Avoid smoking and alcohol.
5. Avoid salty, fatty and oily food.
6. Do regular exercise for at least one hour daily.
7. get your cardiac check up once in a year.
If you follow the instruction than you will be able to reduce your doses and finally stopping it.
Best Wishes
Answered: Sun, 5 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor