Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Have 118 B12 in blood test. Advised to take injections. Is it serious?

1 just find out I have 118 b12 on back of blood test. I Got told that I have to take injections. It it very serious ? I never been diagnose this before I went for checkup as I have been married for 3 years and have no kids to look into it. Does this have something to do with it and can I will pregnant after treatment how long will it take. Can it has an impact on the child ? Thanks
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  47
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thank you for your query,

The normal range of Vit B12 is 200 to 600, so results of your blood tests are considered low.
Vit B12 is essential for the normal functioning of brain, central & peripheral nervous systems and formation of blood.
As a result, deficiency of this Vitamin will affect the functioning of brain, cause abnormalities in nerve conduction & also cause pernicious anemia.
To prevent all these complications, your doctor has advised to take injections.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine after treatment & it will not have any impact on your child.
Also make sure that you are taking diet rich in Vit B12 like fish, meat, egg, milk & milk products, etc.

Thank you,
You can contact me for any follow up questions
Take care
Answered: Sun, 23 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor