Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Has one kidney struggling with edema, gaining weight. Renal function- normal. CT scan shows dilated upper pole of kidney. What causes the blockage?

My husband only has one kidney has been struggling with edema (33lbs in 6 weeks) weight keeps going up. Renal function ok. Just been to hospital and doc says from a recent ct scan shows dilated upper pole of kidney. Doc says their are no stones have you any ideas what could be causing the blockage and could the blockage cause the edema?
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Nephrologist 's  Response
Dilatation of upper part of ureter doesn't always mean a stone obstructing it. He must have had a stone which was there for some time and passed off in the urine. hence dilation and no stone seen in that area. sometimes even with urinary tract infection, there can be dilatation. you can get plain ct abdomen to check whether there is any stone in that area
Answered: Thu, 11 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor