Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Has childhood schizophrenia, avoids eye contact, lacks concentration. On dicorate. Curable?

Hi Sir, My brother is 25 years old and as per doctor he has had childhood schizophrenia and I have heard them even discussing that he has autism as well. According to my parents he was very fine until 5 years. I remember him hating school when in kindergarten and he was forced to attend school that time. He is at home now and I take care of him. He needs 24 hours attention or else he gets restless and agitated. He is under medication , i.e. Dicorate ER 500 mg b.i.d., Tryhp plus b.i.d, quitipin 100 mg h.s., and Frext 50 mg a.m. As I have observed him, he acts like a 3 to 4-year-old and other than my family at home avoids eye contact with everyone else and lacks concentration in any particular work. I would like to know whether his condition is curable and if so to what degree. And what is the best way to control him when he gets agitated.
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  71
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From whatever little clinical information you have provided, it appears that your brother may be suffering from autism or an autistic spectrum disorder. He also seems to be having a significant level of mental retardation (which is commonly associated with autism) and many behavioural problems.

Childhood schizophrenia is a very rare psychiatric disorder and has a presentation similar to that of autism. In fact, before the clinical entity of "autism" was established, most of the children with these symptoms were termed as childhood schizophrenia. Currently, this trend has changed and children with these symptoms are diagnosed as having autistic disorders.

Unfortunately, both these disorders are not curable and these persons have to be on medication and need additional support throughout their lives. Regarding your brother's agitation, it can be managed with a combination of medication and behavioural therapy.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Tue, 8 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor