Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Has been a diabetic patient. Gone angioplasty. Has red spot in right eye. What is this, how to cure this?

My mother is a diabetic patient from past 20 yrs and had gone through angioplasty 3 yrs back. She rubbed her right eye and now complaining that she see a red spot from her right eye. I am afraid as this is internal bleeding and eye appears normal. Please suggest what this can be and how to cure this at the earliest. Thanks!
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
Diabetes is due to progressive loss or destruction of beta cells in endocrinal part of pancreas.
Diabetes is a multi organ disease with involvement of almost all organs of body due to its complications.
Blood sugar both fasting and postprandial must be in controlled range.
Long lasting diabetes may cause diabetic retinopathy with loss or decrease vision.
With the available described symptoms, there appears to be high possibility of internal hemorrhage in vitreous fluid.
You should consult with with ophthalmologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for fundal examination with ophthalmoscope.
Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
She should maintain her glucose at optimal level.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Diabetologist Dr. Basheer Ahamed's  Response

Your mother is a Diabetic since 20 years.
Over the years your mother should have developed eye related diabetic complications like Diabetic retinopathy. This is one part of the story.
The history suggest at your mother could have produced trauma to the right eye by rubbing it.
The cornea looses its sensation in a long standing diabetic patient due to nerve involvement.
There may be a corneal abrasion. Consult an ophthalmologist to prevent infection and further complications.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
It seems that probably your mother may be having diabetic retinopathy (DR).
DR  is a disease caused by diabetes that usually affects both eyes and it generally occurs in people who have not kept their sugar levels in control
In DR blood vessels in retina get weaken and leak blood. 
This leak of blood  may result in seeing black or red spots or blurring of vision or seeing some floaters.
You must immediately consult an ophthalmologist and get the proper diagnosis made and treatment started.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor