Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Has Mild Bronchiectatic changes in both lung bases, increased vascular marking but no lung lesion

Hi following a radiology examination my dad has recieved a report summarising that he has Mild Bronchiectatic changes seen in both lung bases. Both lung fields show increased vascular marking but no focal actvie lung lesion seen. Please can you tell me what this means?
My dad is not a smoker but ocasionally suffers shortness of breath.
Asked On : Wed, 17 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  358
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Radiologist 's  Response

Mild bronchiectasis can occur due to some old infection but may also just be non-specific at his age (assuming he is above 60 years or so). This need not be a cause for worry, especially if he has no cough or fever. If he has these symptoms, it is probably a good idea to meet a chest physician.

Increase in vascular marking is again not very specific at his age. It may also occur if the Xray has been taken in an expiratory phase or exposure was inadequate (technical factors). Often such X rays are reported as 'increased bronchovascular markings', summarizing the two.

Overall, there seems to be nothing much to worry about on your X ray. However, if his shortness of breath is severe, persistent or interfering with daily functions, it would be advisable to take the opinion of a chest physician.

Answered: Sat, 27 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Shailja Puri 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

The presence of bronchietatic changes implies that the airways in the lower lung bases are permanently dilated. This permanent dilatation is due to infections and inflammation.
Since, there is no active lesion in the lung, it indicates that the infection has occured some time in the past and now the disease has become chronic.

Secondily, the prominent vascular markings can be due to infections or a vascular disease like pulmonary hypertension, congestion, etc.

The symptom of dyspnea should be reported to a pulmonologist.
A ECG can help further.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Answered: Wed, 17 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor