Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Hard lump in the bottom of the gum in the crease area, no change in size or colour. What could this be?

I have a hard lump in the bottom area of my gum, on the right hand side, close to the in the vestibule area. I ve had it for about 3 months, it is very small, smaller than a pea and it is smooth. It has not changed size or colour and is the same colour as the rest of the area. I think I developed it one day when I was brushing my teeth and the toothbrush slipped and put pressure on that area. The lump is in the crease area. Thank you.
Asked On : Wed, 29 Aug 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  1280
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist, Periodontics 's  Response
hi, sometimes if injury occurs while brushing and a lump develops it may be due to entrapment of some part of toothbrush bristles in that area, since its already been three months you should get it surgically removed.
take care
Answered: Thu, 11 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Geoffrey Ward's  Response
Hello and thank you for your question.
If this small bump did occur from the trauma it may be a traumatic cyst formation. It could have also been there before and you just noticed it when hit with the tooth brush. If attached to the jaw it could be exostosis or just extra deposite of the bone. If it is free floating, then it is probably a sebaceous gland or a small benign cyst. The best way to determine what it is, is to go to your dentist and address the issue with him or her.

Most likely a benign entity and keep an eye on it for changes in color and size.

Best wishes and good health

Dr. Ward
Answered: Thu, 11 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Shanthi.E's  Response

It mostly seems like a benign lump, which should go away soon. Please take multivitamin supplements daily for a month or so. Do not brush your teeth hard, use soft bristles toothbrush.

If it persists after a month, please get it examined by your dentist and a biopsy of the lump may be done to confirm the cause.

Hope this helps you.

Get well soon.
Answered: Wed, 29 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
the lump has appeared due to toothbrush injury.
apply dologel/mucopain gel on the affected site.avoid harsh brushing methods.
use soft-bristled toothbrush to clean your teeth.
always hold your toothbrush in 45 degree angle,and brush in upper arch from top to bottom and in lower arch from bottom to top.
do not apply too much of pressure on tooth while brushing,as it can cause abrasion and attrition of teeth.
visit a dentist and get your teeth cleaned to remove plaque deposits as it can lead to gingivitis.
take cap.spamox-500mg,thrice daily for 3 days,to subside the infection occurred.
Answered: Thu, 11 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor