Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Hard lump in gum, swelling, feeling heart beat and pressure on gums. X rays shows dark shadow. Any ideas?


I have a hard lump in my gum, in my chin just under my teeth. I have been to the dentist and they did tests to make sure it is not teeth related. It is not teeth related. They did do an x-ray which should a dark shadow. The gum tends to swell and throb for days. The feeling of a heart beat and pressure on my teeth. I have been to my GP twice, twice been given antibiotics. The lump does reduce in size if I am careful not to fuss it. But it takes just me to lean on my chin for it to flare back up!! Please can you help??
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013
Answers:  5 Views:  274
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Thanks for asking query,
According to your explanation it seems that your having periodontal abscess. It usually start from the gingival cervice and extends down on one or more tooth surface.
I suggest you to firstly visit your dentist get the scaling and drainage of abscess done.
Take tab oflox-ornidazole twice, tab ebility thrice, daily.
Maintain oral hygiene , prevent food retention.
use antiseptic mouthwash.
hope this will help you .
Answered: Tue, 7 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hi hopey,
Thanks for writing to us.
The swelling gums may be due to-
Taumatic injury.
Gum infections resulting in periodontitis.
Please do get a second opinion regarding this.
Pus within the swelling has to be drained and curetted if present.
Scaling and root planning has to be done.
Also monitor your blood-sugar level.
Take nutritious diet.
Iron and folic acid supplements has to be taken .
Take care.
Answered: Tue, 7 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

According to your clinical symptoms i suspect that you have developed an Periodontal abscess, this can be due to poor oral hygiene, plague and calculus deposition, hormonal imbalance, use of certain medications.
I would suggest you to go for professional scaling and polishing, curettage.
Take a complete course of antibiotics and analgesic.
If not tooth related the growth can be excised surgically.
Apply mucopain topically over the affected area.
Maintain a good oral hygiene, use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Tue, 7 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Hard lump in the gum can be due to periodontal abscess arrising from the infected tooth, to confirm this an x-ray is required, i would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get the checkup done, if the adjacent tooth is involved treatment of the tooth is required followed by surgical removal of the lesion.
Other than this it can be a gingival abscess due to accumulation of bacterial plague and calculus deep inside the gum pockets, for this a professional scaling, polishing nad curettage is required.
Take complete course of antibiotics and analgesics.
Maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Mon, 6 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response

Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

Lumps seen in the oral cavity can be of various types .

They can be infective lesions related to tooth like periodontal abscess or gingival abscess draining in the oral cavity.
lumps are also formed due to bening or malignant swellings of the jaws .

cysts of the jaws , related to tooth or bone may also lead to swelling .

parotitis or parorid gland swelling may also form lump behind the upper jaw line.

exact diagnosis can be made only after clinical examination and evaluation by taking radiographs.

i would suggest you to get and OPG radiograph done which will help in diagnosis and accordingly treatment can be planned .
consult an oral surgeon and get the examination done.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Tue, 7 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor