Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Hard lump in between the knuckles after punching on a heavy bag. Severe bruising on the hand. What happened?

I punched a 100 lb heavy bag 5 days ago & immediately after the punch I had a large hard lump form right between my pointer & middle knuckles..since then I ve had severe bruising throughout my hand , from the middle of my fingers to my wrist and from one side across to the other-entire top of my hand. I can make a fist & use it with only minimal pain but when I hit the lump on accident at all it s very painful & when I let my arm hang down by my side my hand throbs..what could it be?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  634
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Sep 2013
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.
When strike with a blunt object than there develops hematoma ( collection of blood ) underneath skin.
Same thing happened in your case.
As you stated that when hangs down ( hand ) , you feel pain means due to anti gravity.
Ice pack massage , serratiopeptudase , aceclofenack will provide complete relief.
Rest and raise hand above body , support under soft pillow.
Within 3-5 days , you will be alright.
Good luck.
Answered: Sat, 10 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hi and welcome to HCM

It might be soft tissue injury or fracture.Large lump might be due to haematoma formation(collection of blood).

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.

Hope this will helps you. Take care.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Answered: Tue, 13 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor