Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Hard fall, immediate back pain, sharp pain around umbilicus. Could I have ruptured something in my abdomen or created a hernia?

I took a hard fall onto my concrete driveway today, couldn t get up for several minutes, then managed to get up and get into the house. Very rapid shallow breathing which subsided after about 30 minutes. As soon as I hit the driveway, I felt back pain but also sharp pain around my umbilicus. Both my back and abdomen still hurt but not quite as excrutiating. Could I have ruptured something in my abdomen or created a hernia? Should I go to GP or an orthopedist?
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi! Thank you for your query and welcome to HCM.

I am strongly advising that you go to the emergency room and seek urgent care there immediately. It is possible that you may have traumatized your internal organs which can rupture and bleed. The staff will conduct some imaging tests to see if you are indeed bleeding. If so, surgery will be needed to repair the damage and stop the bleeding. But if no blood is seen, you may be observed for a certain period of time just to make sure that no bleeding (even a minor one) is taking place.

So please, have someone bring you to the ER as soon as possible for urgent care.

Take care!

Dr. Galera
Answered: Fri, 12 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor