Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Haematology report says microcytic hypochromic blood picture. Indications?<br>

what disease I have if my hematology report says that Film: Red blood cells show microrytic hypochromic morphology with occasional target cells and pencil shaped poikilocytes. WBC are mature with distribution shown anove. Platelets are normal in number and morphology. comments : microcytic hypochromic blood picture. Advice : Serum iron profile and Hb-electrophoresis
Asked On : Thu, 8 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  191
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  Anonymous's Response
There are several abnormalities in the blood film and you must ensure this is followed up.
1. Microcytic hypochromic morphology - means small cells with less colour and is usually due to iron deficiency.
2. Polikilocytes - means abnormal shape and can be due to Vit B12 or folate deficiency.
3. Target cells - are also abnormal; the red blood cells look like a shooting target with a bull's eye and can be seen in jaundice.
Hence, the follow up tests are iron levels, TIBC, transferrin, Hb-electrophoresis to exclude thalassemia like disorders; B12 and folate levels; TTG-IgA to exclude coeliac disease where you get both iron and Vit B12/folate deficiency; liver function tests to know your bilirubin levels.
Please ensure this blood film result is followed up.
Best Wishes.
Answered: Fri, 9 Nov 2012
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Usually it is due to Iron deficiency.
You have not stated your age or gender. Iron deficiency is generally due to chronic blood loss - in women from periods, in others intestinal and so on.

It could also be due to some inherited disorders of Haemoglobin - thalassemia is the commonest / rarely a few other causes.

You need more investigations for further assessment and assistance.
A haematologist is the one to see

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Thu, 8 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor