Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex, tonsil problems, cold sore, negative HIV test. Advice?

Q : please i asked u before. More than ine year aog i had unprotected sex with my ex boyfriend. Since than i was frightned. After 3 or 4 months i had flu(like fever and infected tonsils they passed after a week. After some months i met a guy my feyonce. In january of 2012 i got again flu but this time i had tonsil prb and cold sore in my mouth.I was afraid for something serious because i red on web that sometimes these are hiv sypmtoms so i talked with my feyonce and explained him my fears. I was terrified that i may have infected him to, so i went to hospital and get tested for hiv, they result negativ. But in these days i have been attacked by panic dont have any symptom but i am afraid , i cant sleep and i pass the days looking on the web for the symptoms. Please can u help me with any advise. My hiv test was made more than 6 months after the risk. Thank u for everything
Asked On : Wed, 24 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  134
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Welcome to HCM

In your case you tested for ELISA for HIV after 6 months of exposure and this is negative for HIV. It is usually done with 3 different antigen and quite specific and sensitive.

This means negative result,if there is any doubt about the duration of exposure a repeat test is to be performed after 3 months.The test can also be done for your partner if not done already.

There is no need to panic if tests are negative ,one must learn from past and avoid such risky behaviour in future.

There is PCR test for HIV but it is costly and not available every where.

If panic attack are frequent and make you uncomfortable, please consult a Psychiatrist who should help you to come over the panic attacks and if required it can be treated.

Take care

Good luck.
Answered: Tue, 30 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor