Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Had typhoid. Now have widal test positive. What other test we need to do?

my niece had typhoid last year. she had widal test and it came out positive. she had complete course the doctor prescribed. since then she fall ill neararound every 3 months.and when we get this widal test done for her, it always comes positive. is there any problem? is everything okay? what other test we need to do for her?
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  54
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
After going through your history ,if some one suffers Typhoid usually it is cured in 2 weeks time and it is more important to diagnose clinically and take complete treatment,but once it is treated widal test may remain positive for some time then titre starts falling to reach herd immunity level.
If she falls sick again and again as it is water born disease take care of potable water and food items which takes.
It is also possible to have false positive report of positive widal in various other disease like malaria and Tuberculosis.
She must be investigated properly not to miss any other diagnosis.
Now a days widal test has limited value and for Typhoid if Blood culture is available must be used for diagnosis along with clinical features and findings.
You should get her X ray chest and Ultra sonography to exclude other possibilities, please discuss with your treating doctor.
Take care
Good Luck.
Answered: Mon, 11 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
Even though typhoid is cured completely , the test may come positive as the test used in widal is to detect the antibodies.
The antibodies will persist for longer time so the test will be positive.
But the titre of the test and symptoms are imortant to know these episodes are relapses of typhoid or due to the other problems.
So I advise you to consult the doctor for interpretation of test results and further evaluation.
Hope I have answered your query.
Answered: Tue, 5 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor