Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Had tumor removed from bladder, suffering from lymphedema. Catheter inserted. Further?

I am 72 . Had a tumour removed from bladder in 1985,suffering from Lymphedema of the right lower limb , for the past 8 years caused by the nodal blocks due to irradiation, managing with elastic stockinet. A month ago I underwent internal urethrotomy via the cystoscope- using an instrument urethrotome. This is to cut and dilate the narrowed portion in the urethra (lower urinary passage). Following this a check cystoscopy was done to look for any bladder growth....happily there was none. On the completion of the procedure a 16F Foley catheter was inserted into the bladder which was retained for a week .I took PERCIN (Prulifloxacin) for 10 days followed by ceftum 250MG for 5 days. But my pain during urination still persists. Tablets urispas and urikind are not great help. What should I do? Kindly help. Thank you. T.K.Thanthoni
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  91
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear friend , welcome to HCM.

your urethra has undergone lots of surgical insults.

so there is bound to be inflammation , so it hurts.

the question is, if it is also infected?

sometimes resistant infections remain despite antibiotic course, if due to a non-sensitive bacterial strain.

urine routine should be done, and if shows infection, should also be cultured in lab.

antibiotics can be tailored according the sensitivity report.

drink plenty water, if not contraindicated. keep good private hygiene. can take urinary analgesics like phenazopyridine and alkalinizers like cital, if there is infection.

anyway no better way than to consult your urologist treating you for guidance.

take care and tell me what heppens.

pl. take moments to rate this experience here before you log out satisfied.

thanks !
Answered: Thu, 23 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Shailja Puri 's  Response
Hello Mr Thanthoni
You can get an urine culture done.
This test will specify the organism causing infection and symptoms of painful urination.
the antibiotics which you are taking may not inhibit the organism causing the infection.
Take care
Answered: Thu, 23 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor