Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Had to incubate son. Have ulcers now. On numbing gel. How can I help?

My son had a procedure last Thursday and they had to incubate (?) him this has left him with ulcers in the back of his throat , we were given thered numbing gel from Hospital but this seems to not be working, he will not take panadol either, we have tried to hide the gel to give to him but its not working is there anything else we can use, he is 8 monts old
Asked On : Thu, 13 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  49
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM!
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions. Superficial ulceration is an early finding, occurring 4-6 hours after intubation. As the irritation from the endotracheal tube persists, the mucosal ulcerations deepen and are invaded by bacteria from the respiratory tree. Within 48 hours, granulation tissue begins to form within these ulcerations. Ultimately, scar tissue forms. Ulcer healing starts after a few days, rapidly progresses from day 10, and in the majority of cases is complete after 30 days. Will recommend using the gel as well as give antacid syrup to reduce the soreness. Also give semisolid diet with fruits to soothen the mucosal lining. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks
Answered: Tue, 18 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor