Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Had thoracic surgery, broken rib in area between scar and chest tube slits. Am I okay?

i had thoracic surgery and during procedure have a broken rib in my back area between scar and chest tube slits. My surgeon said it was normal for the area in the front below my breast area to be swollen, but Im in my 4 week from surgery and it never seems to go down or get better, just harder at times. Do you know how long it will take for this system to go away?
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
hello user,
As far as broken ribs are concerned, they are absolutely normal after thoracic surgery, rather the ribs are deliberately broken or cut in some cases to get proper field of vision during cardiac surgery !

The rib fractures are also seen sometimes after vigorous CPR(Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation).
Regarding your swelling, you should let your cardiologist examine it more properly, or rather do a USG scan of the swelling.

hope my info helped you
Dr Hari Om Chandrakar
Answered: Tue, 11 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor