Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Had terrible back pain. Which specialist should i go for treatment?

I have had terrible back pain for over a month. Nothing seems to ease the pain. It s mostly lower- but travels throughout the entire back quite often. My primary doctor told me to see a specialist. I am a 43 year old female and am very nervous about what this pain could be from. Any thoughts on what type of doctor i should see. Also, I haven t done anything that would have caused me to have such pain.
Sat, 23 Jun 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.

At the age of 43, the most common cause of back pain is related to degenerative changes (osteoarthritis) and calcium deficiency. It is usually an association to menopause. I wonder if you menstrual cycles are normal or are you having other symptoms of menopause.

Though I cannot predict the cause without a clinical examination, my bet would be on one of the 2 conditions.

I suggest you to visit your orthopedic. Careful examination of the spine with multiple X-rays or CT/MRI scans of the back will reveal the true cause and its management.

If the visit to the doctor takes time, you may try over the counter analgesics such as Advil 400mg twice a day after meal briefly for 3-5 days. Rest well and involve in physical exercise to strengthen the back. Calcium supplements can give you added benefits on the long run.

Hope this helps. If you wish to give me more information, you can post them to me.

Good luck!
I find this answer helpful
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Ritesh Kharnal's  Response
Go for physiotherapy
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor