Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Had stopped taking Naproxen for Ankylosing Spondylitis due to side effects. Any alternate medication?

Hello, is there any medication you would recommend to replace Naproxen? I took it for 3.5 years, with 4-8 paracetamols a day, for Ankylosing Spondylitis . I stopped on my specialist s recommendation because I had spontaneous brusing, some blood in the nose and occasional dull pain in the abdomen. He wanted me to ease off the Naproxen, take Amitriptyline 10mg at night and the paracetamols. I won t see him for 3 months, and wonder what to do as my hips and neck are stiffening and aching more. I cannot take Ibuprofen as it takes up my blood pressure, same reason but less so for diclofenac , and I think Celebrex induced depression. Hoping you have some ideas. I have heard about fish oils, but am reluctant, being vegetarian, but would take if I had to.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  94
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for your post.
Long term use of NSAIDs like Naproxen and ibuprofen can cause side effects specially gastrointestinal discomfort and ulcers. Moreover, some patients are inadequately relieved of pain and inflammation by NSAIDs.
Appropriate alternatives are Cox-2 inhibitors or NSIADs +misoprostol. Both alternatives can be use for long term and these have less side effect on GIT.
You can take Arthrotec wich contains diclofenic +misprostrol. Beside you should also take Vit B12 supplements as you are vegetarian.
hope it helps.
take care!
Answered: Sun, 31 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. S. Jegadeesan's  Response
Ankylosing spondylitis - For pain the drugs available are NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) with or without Paracetamol. Sometimes if symptoms are severe Steroids are given with caution. All drugs if taken for a long period without the advice of drs will produce side effects like Peptic ulcer, Liver damage and may induce diabetic.
Relief by Belt, Flat lying without pillow, avoiding jerky movements while driving (motor cycle) may help. Spinal exercise advised by drs may be useful
Repeat MRI scan to know the current position.
Amitriptyline like drugs may help you. Consult Neuro surgeon
Best wishes
Answered: Sun, 31 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor